No one likes to see slick, quick bugs running around on the kitchen floor or in the shower, but what pest control optional are safe to be used in the home around pets and kids? There are actually quite a few ways that you can get rid of gross and dangerous bugs naturally, without exposing you, your family, or your pets to dangerous insecticides. If doing-it-yourself is not your style, you can also hire professionals who are committed to using natural means of making your home pest-free.
12 Ways to Stop Bug Infestations Naturally
The first important thing to keep in mind is that no solution, not even the dangerous chemical pesticides, will get rid of bugs completely, but there are many ways to prevent them from making a home in your house.
- Clean your gutters – Mosquitoes love standing water, and dirty, clogged gutters often have water in them without the homeowner realizing it.
- Remove invasive plant species – Many ticks prefer to live in invasive plants because of their longevity and ability to fight back natural flora. Remove these plants from your yard.
- Shower within 2 hours of outdoor activities – When playing or working outside, it is recommended to shower within at least two hours of coming inside.
- Hang aromatic rosemary – Many bugs, wasps in particular, do not like wonderful smelling herbs, like rosemary. Hand fresh branches from your doorways to keep the bugs away.
- Tick check – Ticks love to settle in warm, moist places, which means checking your armpits for invaders. Do not twist the ticks you find to pull them out. Grab them by the head and pull them straight.
- Pepper spray? – Do not reach for your criminal deterrent, instead make or purchase spray made from picardin, a compound derived from pepper to repel mosquitoes.
- Keep trash levels low – Flies love trash because there is so much possible food, which is why you should cover your garbage and always empty it before it gets full.
- Fruity fly trap – Kill flies with a delicious death by encouraging them to drown in a small pool of wine or juice. Keep a wine bottle around with an inch in the bottom so flies can get in but cannot get out.
- Repair plumbing leaks – Silverfish love wet environments, which is a great reason to make sure all of your faucets are leak-free.
- Cinnamon ant solution – Sprinkle strong spices like cinnamon or clove where you see ants. Cleaning surfaces with vinegar removes the trails they use to find their way around your kitchen.
- Home-made cockroach trap – Get a jar and a morsel of delicious food, then coat the insides of the jar with petroleum jelly. Wait for your prey to take the bait and be unable to escape.
- Living with the good bugs –As creepy as they are, most spiders and centipedes eat other harmful bugs without posing too much risk to you or your family.
If you are still not satisfied with these simple solutions, you can always hire the pros to go after particularly bad bug problems with natural, plant based solutions.